Pre-Graduate and Pre-Professional Advisors (Pre-Graduate, Pre-Health, Pre-Teaching, and Prestigious Fellowships) will offer hybrid services and programming for the spring 2021 term. See the questions below for details about availability.
Q: FERPA, Student Privacy, and Virtual Advising
A: We will offer hybrid services in the spring. Regularly scheduled appointments will be held via BlueJeans teleconference, but some advisors will also be available for in-person appointments on select days. Please note that teleconferencing makes ensuring FERPA privacy difficult. Advisors will conduct video advising in a private location, and we recommend that students do the same to limit the amount of information which could be overheard by others in the vicinity. By agreeing to videoconference-advising, students are confirming they understand this situation.
Q: Advising in Remote Time Zones
A: All appointments are scheduled for Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time (March 14, 2021 – November 7, 2021). Students located in remote time zones may contact PGPP advisors directly for scheduling options that better fit their schedules.
Q: How will I be able to make a PGPP advising appointment with a professional advisor?
A: Use AdvisorLink: advisor.gatech.edu. Below are brief instructions:
- Go to advisor.gatech.edu and log in using your GT id if necessary.
- Click “Schedule an Appointment.”
- Click “Someone Else” at the bottom of the screen if you only see your major advisors.
- Click “Pre-Health,” “Pre-Graduate,” “Pre-Teaching,” or “Prestigious Fellowships.”
- Choose your preferred advisor, how you would like to meet, and the type of appointment when prompted. Please note that “in-person” appointments are available only on designated days. All other appointments will be held in the BlueJeans virtual meeting space.
- Make sure to select a time that says “Available” rather than “Drop-In” to schedule a private appointment.
- Include comments for what you would like to discuss.
- If you can no longer attend, please cancel the appointment so that other students can sign up.
- You can learn more about Advisor Link and download how-to guides HERE.
Q: Will I be able to attend PGPP drop-in hours?
A: Yes! Group Online Advising will be available through the BlueJeans interface. Please note that BlueJeans meetings are public spaces; anybody with the appropriate links can join those meetings, so they are not ideal for private conversations. Quick, general questions are best for the BlueJeans hour. Schedule an appointment for more personal conversations. You can join your advisor for Group Online Advising at these hours:
- Pre-Health—MWF 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., TR 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST [https://bluejeans.com/9333435893]
- Pre-Graduate—M 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., Thursday 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. EST [https://bluejeans.com/4007039561]
- Pre-Teaching—M 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., Thursday 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. EST [https://bluejeans.com/4007039561]
- Prestigious Fellowships—R 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST [https://bluejeans.com/2610797883]
Q: Will scheduled PGPP workshops take place?
A: Yes! Most PGPP events will still be available through the BlueJeans virtual meeting interface, but some will be offered in person in the spring. Watch your email and check the program’s website for URLs that will take you to those workshops.
Q: Will pre-health students still use the Georgia Tech Letter of Evaluation Service?
A: Yes! The Pre-Health Advising team will continue to provide the LOE service for students applying to health professional school in the upcoming cycle. See www.prehealth.gatech.edu and watch your email for details about this service.
Q: Will my institutionally endorsed award (e.g. Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Churchill, Fulbright, or Knight-Hennessy) still be processed and submitted?
A: Yes, your Prestigious Fellowships Advisor will prepare and upload those materials.
Q: Since travel has been restricted indefinitely, should I pursue post-graduate fellowship opportunities abroad (e.g. Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Gates-Cambridge, Schwarzman, Yenching, etc.)?
A: Yes! Those opportunities are proceeding—some with delayed departure dates or alternative locations. Schedule an appointment with “Prestigious Fellowships” in AdvisorLink to determine which awards will suit you best and learn how to apply.
Q: Should I continue my clinical volunteerism or professional shadowing during the Coronavirus outbreak?
A: First and foremost, follow procedures provided at your clinical sites and take precautions to stay healthy. While we are aware that clinical hours are important to your application to health professional programs, we believe social distancing is critical for public health and prevention of the further spread of coronavirus. Your priority should be your personal well-being and that of your immediate community. Check the Pre-Health Canvas and Piazza site for resources to help you navigate your pre-health preparations during the pandemic.